CREAMY BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
6 cups broccoli florets, cut into small pieces (about 3 broccoli heads)
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp butter
500 ml thickened cream
4 slices cheddar cheese
1/3 cup bread crumbs
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
2 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter, add onion and cook for 3 – 4 minutes. Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds.
- Add cornstarch and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add thickened cream, season with salt and black pepper and bring to boil. Lower the heat to simmer and add broccoli. Mix to combine. Cook for 10 – 15 minutes or until broccoli are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Break the cheese into smaller pieces and add to broccoli. Mix to combine.
- Remove from the heat and pour into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden brown.
- Prepare the casserole in advance, but don’t bake it. Put it in preheated oven just in time to serve it to your guests.