2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sunflower or canola oil
3/ 4 cup orange juice
zest and juice of 1 lemon
splash of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease a cake mold with cooking spray.
- Between two mixing bowls, divide egg yolks from whites.
- With an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks.
- To the egg yolks add sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add oil, orange juice, zest of the lemon, vanilla extract, baking powder and flower. Using a spatula combine all of the ingredients.
- To the egg yolks mixture gently add egg whites and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter to prepared cake pan. Bake at 180°C for an hour or until golden and baked through.
Make the glaze:
- To the juice of one lemon add enough powdered sugar to get desired consistency.
- Drizzle lemon glaze over the cake just before serving otherwise the cake will get soggy.
- Another way to serve Citrus Cake is with vanilla ice-cream. Warm the cake in the oven or microwave and serve it with cold ice-cream.
- In my experience, it is children approved. They can eat a slice of the cake with their hands, if children are at young age.
- Citrus Cake is also great to serve at your next tea party.